Lincoln MKZ Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time Lincoln buyer, I wouldn't say I am not Lincoln's typical demographic being Asian and 27 years of age. I have always been a Honda Acura guy and never considered Ford in general until recently since Honda has become boring and has lacked tech features which Ford/Lincoln either offer or come standard.

Two vehicles that sparked my interest was the MKZ and MKC. The MKC I would have leased because it was a first gen but it hasn't been released yet. The MKZ new gen I would have bought but I hate the Lincoln My Touch system and if I am paying $35k I want everything to be perfectly functional. That left me with a used CPO 2011 MKZ AWD. While the 2011 MKZ I got isn't new it saved me thousands of dollars and gave me a very reliable car.

Coming from Honda and Acura reliability is one of the key reasons I have always bought their cars. The new gen MKZ is rated about average reliability but the 2010-2012 MKZ was rated outstanding because the lack of the all touch console system and because it had a reliable Japanese transmission.

I had $20k to spend and I didn't want to fianance unless the car I saw blew me away, long story short I decided not to finance and looked for a CPO car for $20K. With $20k cash with Honda right now that meant a 2011-2012 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 or with Acura a 2011 TSX or a 2013 ILX Base. For Lincoln that meant a 2011 AWD MKZ with moon roof option, chrome package, and premium paint. Out of all these cars the Accord surprisingly had the most refined and powerful motor. The MKZ has a 263 HP V6 which is slightly less than the 2011-2012 Accords 271 HP but the Accord's motor was just more sweeter sounding and more refined while the MKZ came across a course. The TSX 4 cylinder was also very refined but lacked that extra power found in a 3.5. The ILX was like driving a Civic and had no balls. Styling Accord came in last because the vanilla looks. I have always liked the TSX look since it is less frumpy compared to its Accord sister but the TSX hasn't changed since 2009 which makes it stale looking. The ILX might drive like a Civic but boy it doesn't look anything like one. My girlfriend saw a white one at the dealer and said it reminded her of a baby BMW, yes a far stretch but a flattering comment. The 2010-2012 MKZ is polarizing design, heck even the 2013-2014 ones are hate it or love it for some people, but I enjoy Lincoln's big toothy grill and large spread LED taillights. Yes the sides are way too Fusion esque and needed some movement but no one that has seen my MKZ has said nice Fusion.

Interior for any EX-L Honda is 80%-90% to an Acura and for me that was the problem about buying an Acura. The only major difference I have seen/felt with an Acura's interior over a Honda was its leather. Acura tends to have nice perforated leather that lasts longer, needless to say their leather is leagues behind Lincoln's bridge of weir leather which is also perforated and really soft. The 8th gen Honda's and 2nd gen TSX have a nice modern interior with faux aluminum trim with nice soft touch materials. The leather on the TSX as I mentioned is better and has slightly better bolstering compared to the Accords. On the other hand the MKZ on paper has some high quality materials such as bridge of weir leather and real wood trim, which gives the car a classic look, but when put all together the Lincoln feels a little disjointed because they match the high end materials with moderate grade plastics. This isn't to say the plastic are cheap, but they just don't match the wood trim or seats level of luxury. The Accord by far has the most rear legroom and the TSX and MKZ are very similar in being adequate. The MKZ does offer rear passenger reading lights but lacks rear facing vents like the Accord and the TSX. The MKZ is the only car that has a trunk with no obstructive struts/hinges. The TSX technically has hinges that are covered but those cover eat into the cargo space. Speaking about space the MKZ has a large 16.5 cu.ft which trumps the Accord's and TSx's 14 cu.ft trunks. The ILX for its class has 12.4 cu.ft which isn't bad but still much smaller compared to the MKZ. The ILX for the 2013 base model is a tough sell interior wise because it comes with a ugly cloth and pleather type combo. The rear lacks front facing vents and overall style for a car made by Acura. You do get what you pay for and the 2013 ILX base did have the lowest original SRP.

Features: key standard features for the MKZ: heated door mirrors, dual memory seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror, reverse sensing system, 3.5 V6, sequential sport shift, heated and ventilated front seats, genuine wood inserts. Accord EX-L V6: 3.4 V6 271 HP engine, heated front seats, steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, Power moonroof, rear parking camera, memory functions for the power driver's seat. Acura TSX: Heated door mirrors, memory seat, Power moonroof, auto-dimming rearview mirror, heated front seats. 2013 ILX: Heated door mirrors, power moonroof, Brake assist, push to start, backup camera. The obvious winners are the TSX and MKZ with there massive standard features which the Accord and even the new 2013 ILX can't touch.

MPG: Acura and Honda have fuel efficient cars and this is shown with the TSX that gets 22/31 and the ILX that gets 24/35, but both take premium fuel. The Honda Accord which doesn't take premium and has a V6 gets 19/29. The MKZ is the least fuel efficient but came with AWD so the MPG was 17/24. MPG was important to me but having AWD offset gettign less miles per gallon, but the MKZ does however not require premium fuel.

So in the end I picked the 2011 AWD MKZ because my hesitancy to finance a new 2014 MKZ but more so because the cars I used to buy just didn't stack up. Features, AWD, reliability, and value are the main reasons I switched.

anyone else switch to Lincoln? and why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had been watching Lincoln for many years and liked the different look on the 2013-2016 MKZ. I usually keep my cars for 8-10 years and only was at 7 on my last car. I had just purchased a vehicle for another driver in the house and the dealer got in a 2016 off a 1 year lease. The deal worked out and I got it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts