Lincoln MKZ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2013 MKZ hybrid in early May. Major reasons for purchasing this particular car were the gas mileage, how the car looks and it's exceptionally quiet ride.
I now have about 2500 miles on it and I easily get 41 to 42 miles per gallon in city driving. I reset the mpg gauge after each fill up and the 41 to 42 mpgs has been very consistent.
I have had 0 problems with the car so far. I did take it to the dealer for the software upgrade but other than that I have not had a single issue with my MKZ.
The quiet ride is one of the features I really enjoy about the MKZ. Every person who has ridden in the car has commented on how quiet it is. Prior to owning the MKZ I drove a Cadillac DTS and both my wife and I agree that the MKZ has a quieter ride than the Cadillac.
I will continue to post comments about my MKZ both good and bad (if I have any issues).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I purchased my 2013 MKZ hybrid in early May. Major reasons for purchasing this particular car were the gas mileage, how the car looks and it's exceptionally quiet ride.
I now have about 2500 miles on it and I easily get 41 to 42 miles per gallon in city driving. I reset the mpg gauge after each fill up and the 41 to 42 mpgs has been very consistent.
I have had 0 problems with the car so far. I did take it to the dealer for the software upgrade but other than that I have not had a single issue with my MKZ.
The quiet ride is one of the features I really enjoy about the MKZ. Every person who has ridden in the car has commented on how quiet it is. Prior to owning the MKZ I drove a Cadillac DTS and both my wife and I agree that the MKZ has a quieter ride than the Cadillac.
I will continue to post comments about my MKZ both good and bad (if I have any issues).
what year DTS did you guys have?
any other vehicles you guys owned?
if you really want to see how quiet your interior is, test drive a Verano, which has a ton of tech to make the interior quiet, and compare that to your MKZ ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
welcome aboard kaz, good to see a member who is enjoying their vehicle! If you had to choose whats your favorite feature??

·
Registered
437 Posts
welcome aboard kaz, good to see a member who is enjoying their vehicle! If you had to choose whats your favorite feature??
It really is nice to hear about someone that is actually enjoying their MKZ, sure beats reading about all the downsides of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy the hybrid over the gas-powered MKZ. They cost literally the same amount of money, so that whole time to make up your original investment in the hybrid just doesn't apply. Does anyone know of a reason why someone would choose the gas powered MKZ over the hybrid?

Glad to hear no problems with the MKZ hybrid. Did you get pitched the Black Label trims when you were buying?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy the hybrid over the gas-powered MKZ. They cost literally the same amount of money, so that whole time to make up your original investment in the hybrid just doesn't apply. Does anyone know of a reason why someone would choose the gas powered MKZ over the hybrid?

Glad to hear no problems with the MKZ hybrid. Did you get pitched the Black Label trims when you were buying?
How about loss of truck space....that did it for me

·
Registered
303 Posts
....or that hybrids are junk? The reason Lincoln even made the MKZ Hybrid and Petrol cost the same is because no one was buying the Hybrid....

but if you like it, you like it :D

welcome aboard kaz!

·
Registered
355 Posts

personal preference. some people dont care about hybrid tech and would rather have the petro engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We still have our 09 Cadillac DTS. It is a very nice car but the gas mileage we get is horrible. On top of that Cadillac says that premium gas should be used which ends up putting even more money in the pockets of the oil companies. We were averaging about 18 mpg between city and highway driving so before I purchased the MKZ hybrid I did a little math. Using the figure 20 mpg average for the DTS and 40 mpg for the MKZ I calculated the cost of gas for each car over 100,000 (which is about how long we usually have our cars). So, driving 100 miles in the DTS I would use 5 gallons of gas and driving 100 miles in the MKZ I would use 2.5 gallons of gas. At $3.00 a gallon I would spend $15 for the DTS and $7.50 for the MKZ per 100 miles. Over 100,000 miles I would spend $15,000 on gas for the DTS and $7,500 dollars on the MKZ. Run those same calculations at $3.50 a gallon or $4.00 a gallon.
My conclusion, why would I not buy an MKZ hybrid.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We still have our 09 Cadillac DTS. It is a very nice car but the gas mileage we get is horrible. On top of that Cadillac says that premium gas should be used which ends up putting even more money in the pockets of the oil companies. We were averaging about 18 mpg between city and highway driving so before I purchased the MKZ hybrid I did a little math. Using the figure 20 mpg average for the DTS and 40 mpg for the MKZ I calculated the cost of gas for each car over 100,000 (which is about how long we usually have our cars). So, driving 100 miles in the DTS I would use 5 gallons of gas and driving 100 miles in the MKZ I would use 2.5 gallons of gas. At $3.00 a gallon I would spend $15 for the DTS and $7.50 for the MKZ per 100 miles. Over 100,000 miles I would spend $15,000 on gas for the DTS and $7,500 dollars on the MKZ. Run those same calculations at $3.50 a gallon or $4.00 a gallon.
My conclusion, why would I not buy an MKZ hybrid.
Very intelligent way to think it through! was yor MKZ H purchased before or after the price drop?

The only reason i ask is because your fuel savings would be irrelevant if you were paying off the $10,000 premium for the Hybrid. But if you bought at par its pure cost savings :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mkz

I bought my MKZ for $36,000 (before taxes etc.) so there was no premium on buying the hybrid. I did test drive both the Lexus hybrid and the Avalon hybrid both of which I considered very nice cars. The Lexus was about $3000 more than the MKZ while the Avalon was about $1000 more than the MKZ. It was not just cost that figured into my purchasing the MKZ. It's quieter ride along with the looks and 4 year warranty and maintenance were other factors. Overall I felt I got a better car and a better deal with the MKZ. I guess time will tell if that's true. But so far I feel like I made the right decision.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think you will regret it. They are all great cars. You simple choose the one that makes you happy and move on. I will admit the ES isn't that thrilling inside or out

Haven't tried the Avalon yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought my MKZ for $36,000 (before taxes etc.) so there was no premium on buying the hybrid. I did test drive both the Lexus hybrid and the Avalon hybrid both of which I considered very nice cars. The Lexus was about $3000 more than the MKZ while the Avalon was about $1000 more than the MKZ. It was not just cost that figured into my purchasing the MKZ. It's quieter ride along with the looks and 4 year warranty and maintenance were other factors. Overall I felt I got a better car and a better deal with the MKZ. I guess time will tell if that's true. But so far I feel like I made the right decision.
How are you getting along with SYNC and My Lincoln Touch?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good point. American cars tend to be quieter and slightly cheaper than their competition from a Japanese brand.

Might be time for Lexus to look into tech to make the interior quiet, to bring them up to part with a brand like Lincoln.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you haven't experienced any problems with the MKZ Hybrid so far. With it being the same price as the gas powered version, why get the gasoline owered variant? As long as it isn't having problems once you take it home, it is a great deal.

Are the MPG figures from the EPA matching up with your real world experience?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sync and gas mileage

I am not experiencing any issues with the SYNC or My Lincoln Touch. I enjoy using technology so figuring out how these systems work is usually not much of a problem for me. I can see that the SYNC system would be confusing for a number of people.
I would prefer if auto makers would be able to simply ask you if you prefer the iOS or Android operating system and then load that into your new vehicle at the time of purchase. Then one could simply integrate your iPhone, iPad or other devices into the existing operating system. But maybe that's asking to much.

Prior to purchasing my MKZ I figured if I could get at least 40 miles per gallon I would be very happy. On my current tank of gas I'm averaging 43.4 miles per gallon so I am happy with with these results considering I was averaging 18 mpg on my Cadillac. I always look at EPA estimates for gas mileage as a rough estimate, usually a little inflated. One cannot buy a hybrid and drive it like a sports car and expect 40 miles per gallon. Most people will have to change their driving habits to take advantage of the mpg a hybrid can offer otherwise they are going to be really disappointed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you haven't experienced any problems with the MKZ Hybrid so far. With it being the same price as the gas powered version, why get the gasoline owered variant? As long as it isn't having problems once you take it home, it is a great deal.

Are the MPG figures from the EPA matching up with your real world experience?
because gaslonline doesnt use heavy batteries that will need to be replaced at $%k a pop. Plus some people don't care about being trendy environmentalists, because a real environmentalist would take the bus ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am not experiencing any issues with the SYNC or My Lincoln Touch. I enjoy using technology so figuring out how these systems work is usually not much of a problem for me. I can see that the SYNC system would be confusing for a number of people.
I would prefer if auto makers would be able to simply ask you if you prefer the iOS or Android operating system and then load that into your new vehicle at the time of purchase. Then one could simply integrate your iPhone, iPad or other devices into the existing operating system. But maybe that's asking to much.

Prior to purchasing my MKZ I figured if I could get at least 40 miles per gallon I would be very happy. On my current tank of gas I'm averaging 43.4 miles per gallon so I am happy with with these results considering I was averaging 18 mpg on my Cadillac. I always look at EPA estimates for gas mileage as a rough estimate, usually a little inflated. One cannot buy a hybrid and drive it like a sports car and expect 40 miles per gallon. Most people will have to change their driving habits to take advantage of the mpg a hybrid can offer otherwise they are going to be really disappointed.
I'm with you there.

Sometimes I want to just glue my phone on the dash and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts