Lincoln MKZ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch the MKZ with a mind of its own

In all seriousness who out there has wayyy too much fun with this system?

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. If you combine this technology with some of the amazing mapping and navigation technology, cars will be driving themselves in no time. So many accidents happen from drivers falling asleep at the wheel, so I think this technology will save lives too!

·
Registered
437 Posts
A lot of people fall asleep behind the wheel and this will eventually save someones life. Falling asleep behind the wheel can end quite deadly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If this technology could really save a lot of lives simply because of preventing asleep at the wheel accidents, it should almost be mandated that all cars have it. Just like how seat belts were once an option, and then they became mandatory.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this technology could really save a lot of lives simply because of preventing asleep at the wheel accidents, it should almost be mandated that all cars have it. Just like how seat belts were once an option, and then they became mandatory.
Interesting thought. We may be a few years away from it becoming mandatory equipment. The cost of the technology would be prohibitive in economy cars right now. Right now the option costs $1200 in a Ford and $4300 in a Toyota. if your buying a $20,000 car that tech bumps asking price almost 25%

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's not the first. It's useful but not something I would rely on.

You should be able to stay in your own lane - if you can't you should probably pull over and stop driving. The lane keep assist will allow people to fall asleep at the wall for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
do you guys remember when cruise control was a costly option to add on. Well look at it now for all the cars now it comes as a standard. I think eventually the lane keep assist will be the same. I still would not suggest falling asleep and use it for that advantage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't remember which manufacture it was but I want to say it was Lexus. They have a feature in the central air system where if it detects irregular motions from the drivers head and neck it would generate something in the air to keep the driver from going in to fatigue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't remember which manufacture it was but I want to say it was Lexus. They have a feature in the central air system where if it detects irregular motions from the drivers head and neck it would generate something in the air to keep the driver from going in to fatigue.
This sounds kinda creepy. How does the air system track your neck and head movements? And how does the car respond? Does it blast cold air at you, or start releasing caffeine into the air or something?

Not clear on this at all. Do you have more concrete details?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The way it works is through a sensor on the dash that it facing the driver to detect movements. Not exactly sure what it does to the air that comes out from the vents but it keeps the driver alert and awake for safety. sounds crazy though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The way it works is through a sensor on the dash that it facing the driver to detect movements. Not exactly sure what it does to the air that comes out from the vents but it keeps the driver alert and awake for safety. sounds crazy though.
Interesting... So it makes you uncomfortable somehow to keep you awake? Need more details on this feature I'm not sold that this even exist.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting... So it makes you uncomfortable somehow to keep you awake? Need more details on this feature I'm not sold that this even exist.
It dumps the drivers window down at highway speeds so your woken up by the thwap thwap

/sarc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts