Lincoln MKZ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Apple recently took out a patent for a car dashboard, on the heels of the iOS In the Car app released earlier in the year. With Android taking a big chunk of iPhone sales away, Apple is serious about diversifying revenue streams and making their way into your next car.

The patent is for a car display interface that can control nav, music, HVAC, wiper and defrosters. Apple is working to involve tangible feedback from the system. While operating the interface the screen would respond beyond a subtle vibration (shot at Cadillac). The screen could include raised edges, indents and grooves to make finding controls easier when barreling down the highway.

Already iOS In the Car will be offered by 12 makers next year, so it’s interesting that all in car interfaces could potentially be homogenized similar to the way iTunes took over music management for most people. BMW has already stated they are not on board with this venture.

With Ford/Lincoln already heavily into Sync with Microsoft, will cars be the next PC vs Mac debate?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can see Apple being much better at making car display interfaces than car manufacturers. Most cars are already just creating systems that sync to your iPhone anyway. Apple is the best in the world at creating intuitive consumer electronic devices. I'd rather have an Apple dashboard than one created by a car company.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see Apple being much better at making car display interfaces than car manufacturers. Most cars are already just creating systems that sync to your iPhone anyway. Apple is the best in the world at creating intuitive consumer electronic devices. I'd rather have an Apple dashboard than one created by a car company.
I like buttons

·
Registered
140 Posts
Found this article that lists 6 reasons why our phones make infotainment systems pointless.

1. The average car on the road is 11 years old. Most people replace their phone every 18-24 months.

2. We leave our cars parked most of the time. Our phones come with us every where we go. I even bring mine into the shower (no disasters yet.)

3. Cars move us between point A and point B. They are a matter of convenience. Our phones are more like appendages. Wouldn't it be easier if they were just attached to us?

4. We are using cars less and using phones more.

5. Everyday there is a new app on the market that could potentially revolutionize some aspect of your life. Meanwhile, cars take years to come to market.

6. You can update your phone software and apps almost anywhere. Cars usually need to be taken to the dealership.

Given this info, shouldn't the focus be on facilitating the use of your phone in the car instead of trying to create a system in the car that will inevitably be inferior?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this article that lists 6 reasons why our phones make infotainment systems pointless.

1. The average car on the road is 11 years old. Most people replace their phone every 18-24 months.

2. We leave our cars parked most of the time. Our phones come with us every where we go. I even bring mine into the shower (no disasters yet.)

3. Cars move us between point A and point B. They are a matter of convenience. Our phones are more like appendages. Wouldn't it be easier if they were just attached to us?

4. We are using cars less and using phones more.

5. Everyday there is a new app on the market that could potentially revolutionize some aspect of your life. Meanwhile, cars take years to come to market.

6. You can update your phone software and apps almost anywhere. Cars usually need to be taken to the dealership.

Given this info, shouldn't the focus be on facilitating the use of your phone in the car instead of trying to create a system in the car that will inevitably be inferior?
The thing with that is you run into compatibility issues, say you still have your MKZ ten years from now, phones ten years from now will be most likely be incompatible with a system ten years its senior (try and plug an iphone into an early 2000s computer hehh). Plus most places are now trying to limit your in car phone use.

Not to mention people without smartphones and people without phones in general.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The thing with that is you run into compatibility issues, say you still have your MKZ ten years from now, phones ten years from now will be most likely be incompatible with a system ten years its senior (try and plug an iphone into an early 2000s computer hehh). Plus most places are now trying to limit your in car phone use.

Not to mention people without smartphones and people without phones in general.
What person buys a new MKZ and has no smartphone or phone in general? That is like buying a PlayStation 3, but having no internet in your house.

The compatibility issue is understandable, but if Apple were making our dashboards I bet the software updates would keep things up to date. That is kind of like saying you shouldn't put CD players in cars because ten years from now we won't use CDs anymore.

Technology changes fast. No matter what we put in the car or what phone we have, it will be out of date in just a few years.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What person buys a new MKZ and has no smartphone or phone in general? That is like buying a PlayStation 3, but having no internet in your house.

The compatibility issue is understandable, but if Apple were making our dashboards I bet the software updates would keep things up to date. That is kind of like saying you shouldn't put CD players in cars because ten years from now we won't use CDs anymore.

Technology changes fast. No matter what we put in the car or what phone we have, it will be out of date in just a few years.
A person who doesn't have a smartphone is a person who buys a Lincoln without a smartphone I believe. What I'm saying is its useless to focus on developing in car systems around a smartphone because of advancements in that sector/compatibility issues.

Were not really putting CD players in cars anymore, its an after thought now like cassettes were. Most folks are either connecting a device or cloud streaming...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts