Lincoln MKZ Forum

Lincoln MKZ Forum (https://www.mkzforum.com/forum/lincoln-mkz.php)
-   How-To Forum (https://www.mkzforum.com/forum/how-forum/)
-   -   2014 Hybrid-How to break in? (https://www.mkzforum.com/forum/how-forum/2266-2014-hybrid-how-break.html)

addictedtugolf 12-20-2013 01:06 AM

2014 Hybrid-How to break in?

We are NEW owners of a 2014 MKZ(H) Hybrid and I'm looking for information on recommendations or the proper way to "BREAK-IN" the HYBRID (CVT) engine? We've owned a Toyota Prius (2007-2011).
Does anyone know the best resource in addition to the manual? Thanks

zep 12-20-2013 10:55 AM

If looking for in and out smash and grab I'd say use a basball bat or a 9 iron ;) hehehhh kidding

check this out Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

golfball 12-20-2013 11:29 AM

Honestly just check your user manual

The hybrid might be a bit different than the gas model

addictedtugolf 12-20-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfball (Post 14642)
Honestly just check your user manual
The hybrid might be a bit different than the gas model

From what i read, JUST ONE PARAGRAPH.....says basically wait for 1000 miles before running the engine,car hard as well as speed too..WHICH we knew...

RothC 12-20-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addictedtugolf (Post 14666)
From what i read, JUST ONE PARAGRAPH.....says basically wait for 1000 miles before running the engine,car hard as well as speed too..WHICH we knew...

with most cars that is the general rule to follow. some even go a big beyond that to 2000miles.

zep 12-21-2013 10:38 AM

nah thats bullish, you want to run the girl a little hard during break in or else she never gets used to it. I'm not talking go WOT but be spirited you need to help all the internals settle in properly, especially the valves...

drive normal, babying is the worst thing you can do for the future health of your vehicle.

golfball 12-23-2013 06:50 AM

well they dont' say you have to baby it

just avoid pushing it hard for the first 1000 miles.

MKZFan 12-23-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zep (Post 14714)
nah thats bullish, you want to run the girl a little hard during break in or else she never gets used to it. I'm not talking go WOT but be spirited you need to help all the internals settle in properly, especially the valves...

drive normal, babying is the worst thing you can do for the future health of your vehicle.

this is true, from what i know it's good to drive normally and have times where you push it a bit, but of course not like a race car.

i think if you don't do this, it can lead to the engine burning oil later in it's life.

golfball 12-24-2013 08:28 AM

you do want to be slight positive and negative load on the car to properly seat the pistons

so i'll accelerate up the hill holding it in 1 gear. and decelerate down the hill in the same gear. not letting the rpms go too high. and not at high speeds. just usually 2nd gear.

zep 12-24-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfball (Post 14778)
you do want to be slight positive and negative load on the car to properly seat the pistons

so i'll accelerate up the hill holding it in 1 gear. and decelerate down the hill in the same gear. not letting the rpms go too high. and not at high speeds. just usually 2nd gear.

yea good plan, hold the one gear and work her through the rev band