LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
zep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
We still have our 09 Cadillac DTS. It is a very nice car but the gas mileage we get is horrible. On top of that Cadillac says that premium gas should be used which ends up putting even more money in the pockets of the oil companies. We were averaging about 18 mpg between city and highway driving so before I purchased the MKZ hybrid I did a little math. Using the figure 20 mpg average for the DTS and 40 mpg for the MKZ I calculated the cost of gas for each car over 100,000 (which is about how long we usually have our cars). So, driving 100 miles in the DTS I would use 5 gallons of gas and driving 100 miles in the MKZ I would use 2.5 gallons of gas. At $3.00 a gallon I would spend $15 for the DTS and $7.50 for the MKZ per 100 miles. Over 100,000 miles I would spend $15,000 on gas for the DTS and $7,500 dollars on the MKZ. Run those same calculations at $3.50 a gallon or $4.00 a gallon.
My conclusion, why would I not buy an MKZ hybrid.
Very intelligent way to think it through! was yor MKZ H purchased before or after the price drop?

The only reason i ask is because your fuel savings would be irrelevant if you were paying off the $10,000 premium for the Hybrid. But if you bought at par its pure cost savings
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@Kaz, would you ever consider getting a Lexus ES hybrid? seems like Lexus has done a good job with them.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
kaz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mkz

I bought my MKZ for $36,000 (before taxes etc.) so there was no premium on buying the hybrid. I did test drive both the Lexus hybrid and the Avalon hybrid both of which I considered very nice cars. The Lexus was about $3000 more than the MKZ while the Avalon was about $1000 more than the MKZ. It was not just cost that figured into my purchasing the MKZ. It's quieter ride along with the looks and 4 year warranty and maintenance were other factors. Overall I felt I got a better car and a better deal with the MKZ. I guess time will tell if that's true. But so far I feel like I made the right decision.
Hustler33 likes this.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM

I don't think you will regret it. They are all great cars. You simple choose the one that makes you happy and move on. I will admit the ES isn't that thrilling inside or out

Haven't tried the Avalon yet.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
zep

Quote:
I bought my MKZ for $36,000 (before taxes etc.) so there was no premium on buying the hybrid. I did test drive both the Lexus hybrid and the Avalon hybrid both of which I considered very nice cars. The Lexus was about $3000 more than the MKZ while the Avalon was about $1000 more than the MKZ. It was not just cost that figured into my purchasing the MKZ. It's quieter ride along with the looks and 4 year warranty and maintenance were other factors. Overall I felt I got a better car and a better deal with the MKZ. I guess time will tell if that's true. But so far I feel like I made the right decision.
How are you getting along with SYNC and My Lincoln Touch?
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Good point. American cars tend to be quieter and slightly cheaper than their competition from a Japanese brand.

Might be time for Lexus to look into tech to make the interior quiet, to bring them up to part with a brand like Lincoln.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM

I'm glad to hear that you haven't experienced any problems with the MKZ Hybrid so far. With it being the same price as the gas powered version, why get the gasoline owered variant? As long as it isn't having problems once you take it home, it is a great deal.

Are the MPG figures from the EPA matching up with your real world experience?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
kaz

(Thread Starter)
Sync and gas mileage

I am not experiencing any issues with the SYNC or My Lincoln Touch. I enjoy using technology so figuring out how these systems work is usually not much of a problem for me. I can see that the SYNC system would be confusing for a number of people.
I would prefer if auto makers would be able to simply ask you if you prefer the iOS or Android operating system and then load that into your new vehicle at the time of purchase. Then one could simply integrate your iPhone, iPad or other devices into the existing operating system. But maybe that's asking to much.

Prior to purchasing my MKZ I figured if I could get at least 40 miles per gallon I would be very happy. On my current tank of gas I'm averaging 43.4 miles per gallon so I am happy with with these results considering I was averaging 18 mpg on my Cadillac. I always look at EPA estimates for gas mileage as a rough estimate, usually a little inflated. One cannot buy a hybrid and drive it like a sports car and expect 40 miles per gallon. Most people will have to change their driving habits to take advantage of the mpg a hybrid can offer otherwise they are going to be really disappointed.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM
zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatraz View Post
I'm glad to hear that you haven't experienced any problems with the MKZ Hybrid so far. With it being the same price as the gas powered version, why get the gasoline owered variant? As long as it isn't having problems once you take it home, it is a great deal.

Are the MPG figures from the EPA matching up with your real world experience?
because gaslonline doesnt use heavy batteries that will need to be replaced at $%k a pop. Plus some people don't care about being trendy environmentalists, because a real environmentalist would take the bus
MKZFan likes this.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I am not experiencing any issues with the SYNC or My Lincoln Touch. I enjoy using technology so figuring out how these systems work is usually not much of a problem for me. I can see that the SYNC system would be confusing for a number of people.
I would prefer if auto makers would be able to simply ask you if you prefer the iOS or Android operating system and then load that into your new vehicle at the time of purchase. Then one could simply integrate your iPhone, iPad or other devices into the existing operating system. But maybe that's asking to much.

Prior to purchasing my MKZ I figured if I could get at least 40 miles per gallon I would be very happy. On my current tank of gas I'm averaging 43.4 miles per gallon so I am happy with with these results considering I was averaging 18 mpg on my Cadillac. I always look at EPA estimates for gas mileage as a rough estimate, usually a little inflated. One cannot buy a hybrid and drive it like a sports car and expect 40 miles per gallon. Most people will have to change their driving habits to take advantage of the mpg a hybrid can offer otherwise they are going to be really disappointed.
I'm with you there.

Sometimes I want to just glue my phone on the dash and call it a day.