2014 Hybrid-How to break in? - Lincoln MKZ Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Hybrid-How to break in?

We are NEW owners of a 2014 MKZ(H) Hybrid and I'm looking for information on recommendations or the proper way to "BREAK-IN" the HYBRID (CVT) engine? We've owned a Toyota Prius (2007-2011).
Does anyone know the best resource in addition to the manual? Thanks
addictedtugolf is offline  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM
zep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If looking for in and out smash and grab I'd say use a basball bat or a 9 iron hehehhh kidding

check this out Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
addictedtugolf likes this.
zep is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly just check your user manual

The hybrid might be a bit different than the gas model
addictedtugolf likes this.
golfball is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfball View Post
Honestly just check your user manual
The hybrid might be a bit different than the gas model
From what i read, JUST ONE PARAGRAPH.....says basically wait for 1000 miles before running the engine,car hard as well as speed too..WHICH we knew...
addictedtugolf is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtugolf View Post
From what i read, JUST ONE PARAGRAPH.....says basically wait for 1000 miles before running the engine,car hard as well as speed too..WHICH we knew...
with most cars that is the general rule to follow. some even go a big beyond that to 2000miles.
RothC is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
zep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nah thats bullish, you want to run the girl a little hard during break in or else she never gets used to it. I'm not talking go WOT but be spirited you need to help all the internals settle in properly, especially the valves...

drive normal, babying is the worst thing you can do for the future health of your vehicle.
zep is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well they dont' say you have to baby it

just avoid pushing it hard for the first 1000 miles.
golfball is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zep View Post
nah thats bullish, you want to run the girl a little hard during break in or else she never gets used to it. I'm not talking go WOT but be spirited you need to help all the internals settle in properly, especially the valves...

drive normal, babying is the worst thing you can do for the future health of your vehicle.
this is true, from what i know it's good to drive normally and have times where you push it a bit, but of course not like a race car.

i think if you don't do this, it can lead to the engine burning oil later in it's life.
MKZFan is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you do want to be slight positive and negative load on the car to properly seat the pistons

so i'll accelerate up the hill holding it in 1 gear. and decelerate down the hill in the same gear. not letting the rpms go too high. and not at high speeds. just usually 2nd gear.
golfball is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 AM
zep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfball View Post
you do want to be slight positive and negative load on the car to properly seat the pistons

so i'll accelerate up the hill holding it in 1 gear. and decelerate down the hill in the same gear. not letting the rpms go too high. and not at high speeds. just usually 2nd gear.
yea good plan, hold the one gear and work her through the rev band
zep is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome